Hands Off My Bike!
In San Francisco, up to three bikes are stolen each hour – egad! This thievery has led to citizen innovation, including a map that visualizes where bikes are reported stolen and “bait bike” stickers that trick thieves into thinking a GPS chip is installed to allow police to immediately start tracking the stolen bike.
- Bike theft map pinpoints problem hotspots (Examiner) 06/10/2014
- San Francisco Police Use GPS To Catch Bike Thieves (KCBS) 06/10/2014
- Fighting S.F.’s mobile bicycle chop shops (Examiner) 06/08/2014
- Unclaimed bikes could be required to be used for youth repair program (Examiner) 02/24/2014
- S.F: As bike thefts rise, registration program gears up (Chronicle) 02/17/2014
- SF bike registry launching as police ramp up anti-theft efforts (Examiner) 02/13/2014
- San Francisco expected to set goal of reducing bike thefts by 50 percent in 5 years (Examiner) 09/20/2013
- S.F. bike registry taking shape in effort to curb bike thefts (Examiner) 07/19/2013
- As bicycling rises in popularity, so does theft (Chronicle) 07/19/2013
- San Francisco lawmaker wants to curb rampant bike thefts (Examiner) 01/31/2013